Since the group has decided to band together around a 28mm Fantasy Impetus project I've made a humble start on my army. After some deliberation, I decided to go with the Chaos/Corrupted/Bad Guy/Misunderstood army. I started by painting one of the GW Chaos Knight models.
When I first looked at the cover photography on the box I knew that I wouldn't be copying the GW paint scheme - too much work. These models are hyper-detailed and, with that in mind, I thought that I would put some metallic drybrushing and inking to good use and let all of that detail do the work. However, when the metallic parts were finished (about 80% or more of the model), I realized that I needed some contrast to make the thing look plausible. So I did the unthinkable - I painted a Chaos horse not-black. I realize that this may offend the sensibilities of the most die-hard GW fanboys but part of being a revolutionary is taking chances and making enemies ;). So there.
The current plan is to put three knights on a 12xm x 8cm base and to fill in the gaps with a Chaos Hound or two. We'll see. The thing is, I'm still contemplating what type of army to do. What I mean is, I intend to use this project as a sort of replacement for one of the historical projects on the wish list. With that in mind, I could make this army very Sarmation-ish (lots of knights with a unit or two of light horse and a handful of skirmishers) or I could go for something more balanced (some cavalry, some infantry, a little weirdness to smooth it out)
Now, I know that I could squeeze four knights on here, but I've decided not to for a couple of reasons. First of all, if our fantasy armies grow large it will be more feasible to build the army with the lower numbers. Secondly, if I decide to field some particularly elite knights (i.e. VBU 8 instead of 7) I could reserve four per base for those units. You see, I actually do think things through sometimes in spite of the popular opinion to the contrary.
I'll leave you with some rhetorical questions that I've been asking myself over the last couple of days (which you should feel free to answer):
- Should I field some light cavalry? I was thinking of marauder horsemen models. Perhaps two per base with a couple of hounds for filler? Something like (VBU:4 I:2, Javelin).
- For skirmishers I was pondering some plastic GW crossbowmen painted mostly in black (Long John SoAndSo and his cronies) as well as some bowmen based on GW's plastic Ungor models. Or perhaps I should stick with one or the other. You must understand that I came to the Warhammer World through Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, not through the miniatures game, so the idea of evil men retreating north in search of asylum fits very nicely in my vision of the Old World.
- Chaos Warriors. I have enough to paint up a unit. However, my last three Impetus armies (EIR, Carthage, Free Company) have had considerable numbers of heavy foot and I wonder would this army make a nice break from FP units. Not sure.
- Are the special fantasy characters really viable on the field? As Marc pointed out the other day, the average CH-Wizard unit in the game is about 50 points and must roll a 5+ in order to cast most spells. I could have a unit of Chaos Knights (VBU:7 I:5, Rush, Fierce Charge) for less than that. In short, I'm not convinced about the whole character thing at the moment. I would love for some enlightened individual who's played with characters to explain it to me.
- I have a metal Chaos Spawn model down in the pile somewhere. If I go with a cavalry army, should I still use it or not? It would move as fast as the heavy cavalry but I wonder would it look out of place?
Thanks for reading,