Sunday, May 29, 2011

Marc's First Longbowmen

Before Stu and I threw down for a game of Impetus last night, Marc brought along some Show & Tell - two units of longbowmen for his English army. I thought you folks might enjoy seeing them. As you can see, one unit is painted in the livery of his commander-in-chief.


Along with his unit of hobilars I posted a little while back, these guys make a fine start to his army. Marc seems to be in high gear with this army. I won't be surprised if we are playing some small 200-point games in the next month or so.

I finally primed a largish batch of Slavs a couple of days ago, so I'll be getting that project moving as well. I looked at some of the cavalry I had and realized that I could field two or three units of Avar noble cavalry. Thanks to this discovery, I've decided to use my Slavs as part of a larger Avar force. I may "acquire" the necessary light horse miniatures for Father's Day. Anyway, I'm off to prep up some cavalry while enjoying my Sunday morning tea.

Thanks for reading,
JET

9 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Nice looking Longbowmen.

Christopher

Ray Rousell said...

Great painting!!

Laughing Ferret said...

These look great!

Which company are these from?

JET (aka Jason) said...

As to what company they are from, Marc may come along and answer that one. I do know that he is painting a HYW English army (and that he has enough archers to paint 8 units) and I think he mentioned that his general might be a poorer nobleman. Like I said, perhaps he'll respond and give a little back-story.

General Jigger said...

In 1420 Maredudd ab Owain Glyndŵr was offered a pardon for his role in the Welsh rebellions if he would fight for England on the continent; he refused. My army is based on the idea that he accepted and raised a force of Welsh and English to go to the Continent to fight. Maredudd real goal is of course to raise money and men to once again rebel against the English Crown.

Just to let you know, my actual knowledge of the period is terribly limited and my total research consists of a Google search so any corrections are welcome.

My second commander is likely to be called Henry Percy ("the cobbler") by his men because of his belief that "men should be well shod if they are to be expected to fight".

The real Henry Percy was the 2nd Earl of Northumberland (son of the 1st Earl Henry "Hotspur" Percy who was a known friend of Owain Glyndŵr)who mostly secured the Scottish border but did fight some campaigns on the Continent.

That's the story so far.

Marc.

General Jigger said...

Oh yeah, thanks for the nice pics J. :)


Marc.

Unknown said...

THe dreaded longbowmen look very good.
GReat job

Stig of the Dump said...

They are looking very nice.
steve.

Monty said...

Very good!