Sunday, June 5, 2011

Workbench Update: Avar Test Model

After spending what little spare time I had over the last couple of weeks prepping and priming, I finally took some time today to throw some paint on a 15mm cavalry model. This fellow will be fielded as part of a Noble Cavalry unit for my up-and-coming Avar Impetus army.


This army will consist primarily of medium bow-armed cavalry, Slavic infantry (in the form of FL and S units), and a few units of bow-armed light cavalry that are currently en route from Khurasan Miniatures.

As one gent on TMP kindly pointed out, it's rather questionable whether Avar cavalry used shields. I figure that, since the Avar nation was really a conglomerate of different Asiatic ethnic groups, I'll go ahead and mix these guys in with my shield-less horsemen and hope for the best. When all is said and done, I'll have a 400-point raiding force that will be made up fairly evenly of bow-armed horse and javelin-armed infantry. As an Impetus player (historical considerations aside) it will be quite a fun army to play - very different from the FP, CP, and T units in my Free Company army.

Thanks for reading,
JET

7 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

If the rest of your army looks anything like this one it will be one lovely army!

Christopher

Laughing Ferret said...

Looks great!
The sculpting is very nice- the horse looks a lot better even than some 28mm sculpts I've seen.

Laughing Ferret said...

sorry for the double comment post- I just checked out khurusan's site, since I really like the look of this mini you've painted- but I didn't see it under their Avars. Is this mini from a different manufacturer? or from a different line other than Avars from Khurusan?

Thanks

JET (aka Jason) said...

Thanks for the compliments guys.

@LF,
The painted mini above is not from Khurasan. What I meant to say is, I've ordered miniatures from Khurasan to make my units of light cavalry. However, the model above was given to me by Bob from Edmonton. If he reads this he might be able to enlighten you (and me for that matter). I'd love to know, just in case I want to order more some day.

Stig of the Dump said...

Jason, thats some nice painting.

How long does it take you, on average to paint a mini, and do you always paint them singly. I ask because i tend to do a full impetus unit at a time and sometimes it can take all day.

Great stuff anyway

Steve

JET (aka Jason) said...

Hey Steve (and thanks again guys),

These days I don't really force myself to paint, so the short answer is, I paint however the hell I want to :)

I often start out painting a unit (say six horses(. After drybrushing some metal and painting a couple of faces, I start painting a shield and before you know it, I've finished one model and left the others alone. Sometimes I actually stay focused and finish them all at the same time. It all depends on my mood.

I don't really know how long it takes to paint one model. I cut some corners in some places and experiment a lot along the way.

Bob Barnetson said...

If I had to guess at a manufacturer, I would say Essex, Old Glory or Irregular. These were a job lot with mysterious eastern origins.