Sunday, August 28, 2011

Workbench Update: 15mm Bridge

I've had this 15mm Hovels bridge lying around for almost two years now. Last week, Marc and I devised a simple "cross the river" scenario for Impetus and played the scenario with one river section designated as a ford. I realized that a bridge would be far cooler, hence the new paint job.


I decided not to base the bridge in its own section of river since I want to be able to use it along with multiple river collections in our group. Instead, I built a base for the bridge and sculpted some water flowing under it. It doesn't match up perfectly but it gets the idea across as far as I'm concerned.

As for the Impetus scenario, here are some random points Marc and I came up with during and after our test scenario last week:

  • The attacker must have one appointed unit on the defender's side of the bridge at game end in order to win.
  • A unit whose base is flush with a bridge entrance can engage in melee with an enemy unit on the opposite side.
  • Entering a bridge causes disorder to all units except FP and S.
  • We haven't yet figured out how to regulate crossing the bridge as (a) units can't fit on the bridge and (b) units have different depths. I'm sure we'll come up with a simple method to solve this minor issue.

Anyway, that's it for the time being. When we've played some more games we'll hammer down the details and put the scenario out there for other Impetus players. In fact, our goals is to make up half a dozen such scenarios so that, in time, we aren't always playing straight ahead pitched battles.

Thanks for reading,
JET

3 comments:

Bob Barnetson said...

Nice bridge. I have a couple that are unbased and I like the simple approach you chose to finishing it. When I get onto terrain in 2011 that will be one of my projects!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

I really like Hovel terrain and you did a great job painting it.

Christopher

aamedor said...

love your paint work Ive got a tower I still need to paint from ages ago
+followed