Thursday, May 29, 2014

Legends of the Old West: Sly Bill Settles A Score

After the last couple of games between Marshall Mills and the 4:20 Gang, the latter were in rough shape. Sly Bill, after being dealt with in a particularly shameful way by the Marshall, decided that he was heading into town to settle the score. After a few bottles of whiskey, the rest of the gang didn't take much convincing and, before you knew it, the dastardly bandits were sneaking into the town hoping to catch the Marshall off guard.

The 4:20 Gang move up through the storage yard hoping to get the drop on Marshall Mills and his men.
The Assumption Vigilance Committee spots the outlaws and moves fast to drive them out of town.
After a vicious shoot-out, the Marshall moves in to fisticuffs range.
Bud Masters stands outside the hotel and surveys the scene after the violence has come to an end. 

As it turns out, the Vigilance Committee had spotted them advancing through the fields (drunk men are rarely as stealthy as they imagine themselves to be) and tried to cut them off at the edge of town in order to reduce the danger to innocent civilians. Unfortunately, the lawmen were beaten back rather handily - sometimes the drink makes a man a little more daring than he would normally be. The entire engagement culminated in a duke-out between Sly Bill and the Marshall himself. Although neither man went down, the Marshall's men were lying scattered in the streets beaten and bruised. Feeling that they had made their point, the outlaws withdrew amidst a chorus of triumphant whooping and yelping.

So, there you have it, Marc's outlaws finally had their revenge against the seemingly unstoppable lawmen. No matter - now the Marshall and his men are even more determined to see the villains behind bars or preferably, hanging from a tree!

In game terms, Marc managed not only to win but to do so without suffering any casualties. With more heroes in his posse (read: income earners), Marc is at a turning point I think. There was a point where his outlaws were on the line and I wondered if they would become so depleted that he would be forced to disband them and start over. It seems he is past the worst of it now and I fear my lawmen will have to work double-hard to drive them from the county once and for all.

Thanks for reading,
JET

8 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

One again great looking table and report!

Christopher

JET (aka Jason) said...

Thanks Christopher. I have a lot more smaller terrain pieces now than I did 5 years ago - barrels, more fences, crates, luggage. I find it really makes a difference, both visually and in providing lots of cover and bottlenecks.

Phil said...

Fantastic pictures, very atmospheric!

Monty said...

Excellent all round! Just starting off an old west town myself using the 4Ground stuff ;)

JET (aka Jason) said...

When I started, there were no buildings by 4-Ground or any other laser-cut manufacturers. If I had my time back, that's the way I would have gone. In saying that, I have ordered some Renedra/Perry Brothers buildings to fill out my collection.

Terry Silverthorn said...

Looks like a fun game of fist-I-cuffs. Beautiful terrain & your right. All those smaller bits on the table do add a lot!

JET (aka Jason) said...

Thanks Terry. Actually, those crates are by Pegasus, one of the best buys of my geeking career. They come pre-painted in dark brown. Less than 10 minutes of dry-brushing and they're ready to go. Not expensive either.

BaronVonJ said...

Hey Jet, great pictures and set up as usual. I'm about to release the second version of my Wild West rules, Fistful of Lead, and I'd like to give you a free set in exchange for a battle report. Interested. I think they'll fit your style of game play.
-J