Friday, October 15, 2010

Workbench Update: An Example of Off-Table Building Interiors

In my previous post I presented my idea for creating and playing with off-table building interiors for Chaos In Carpathia. I finally got around to painting up my first sample so I thought I would walk you folks through it visually and briefly explain how it will work during game play.

Ernst Holdt has kindly volunteered to take part in our little demonstration. At the start of his turn, Ernst finds himself at a cottage door and decides to try opening it. The player rolls a D6, scores a 3, and consults the Door Table (see previous post - JET). Since this is a simple residence, there is no modifier so the door is unlocked. Ernst uses a free action to open the door and moves through the door.


As soon as he passes through the door, Ernst is placed on the off-table interior in contact with the doorway. Ernst gets a total of two free actions per turn (he has a MIND score of 2) and he decides to use his other free action to close the door behind him. If the player chose (and the scenario allowed it) Ernst could interrupt his movement and use a special action (in lieu of attacking) to bar the door.


Ernst then continues with his movement and makes it to the top of the stairway in preparation for next turn. Although I haven't finished it yet, I'm working on the cellar for this house which will also be laid in the off-table section near the top floor. Next turn, Ernst could move down the stairs and then be placed on the landing in the cellar where he could complete his turn.


After seeing his opponent's moves, Ernst's player decides that Ernst would be more useful by providing fire support on the advancing enemy. Ernst moves to the window.


He can now target anything within a 45 degree arc from the corresponding window. Although he can also be targeted, he would gain the hard cover bonus.


As you can see, detailed interiors have the potential to add a lot of richness to a game like Chaos in Carpathia. I've already considered how some attributes, skills, and equipment become more valuable. For example:

A model's MIND attribute is more applicable to most scenarios as it gives a model the freedom to move around buildings, opening and closing doors, and so on.

A model's STRENGTH attribute comes in handy when trying to break down a locked door.

A model's AGILITY attribute makes climbing through windows easier, as does a coil of rope.

The skills Wallcrawler, Shape of the Bat, and Mist Form help model's negotiate the multi-level nature of the buildings on the battlefield.

Torches and Lanterns help humans negotiate the dark interiors of buildings and make it easier to spot and target hidden enemies.

Anyway, in one more week we plan on taking the new interiors for a test run so I'll have to get busy and finish the rest of them.

Thanks for reading,
JET

4 comments:

Bob Barnetson said...

I like this idea but often have a hard time remembering to do the off table movement and relate it (especially guys in windows) to the on table movement. cool furniture!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Yes,I think that works very well and importantly still allows easy access.I think some walled partisans will be needed when entering multi-room buildings.Nice promising start!

Cheers
Christopher

Andrew said...

Good idea and great execution. I've often heard this concept discussed, but never saw it in practice.

JET (aka Jason) said...

Hi Guys,

I look forward to trying these out soon. For multi-roomed buildings I'll be painting in the interior walls as thick black lines just like the perimeter walls. I want the final products to be 2-D (aside from the furniture) so that I can store a bunch of them in a small box and transport them easily. I hope to get some more done in the next couple of days.