Thursday, February 26, 2009

Warmachine Action: Cygnar vs. Menoth

So you all thought I'd given up on Warmachine... fools! I still love the models, love the game, but it was starting to go stale on me. It wasn't the game itself, but the fact that it was the only game in town for two years. I grew to despise WH40k for this reason, and I didn't want Warmachine to suffer the same fate. Hence, all the new hobby projects and historical gaming lately. And it's worked! Warmachine is starting to get me excited again!

And so, Ken dropped over tonight to have a couple of 500-point match-ups. I used this Caine list for the first match. It featured Caine with a Centurion, JWC with Sentinal, long gunners, gun mages, GMCA, and Stormsmiths x 3.


Ken brought a Severius list. It contained a choir, large zealot mob, two revengers, a redeemer, a vassal, and the new caster attachment for Menoth.


The zealots head for the forest...

...and the Menothian jacks head straight down the middle.


Caine started by casting Snipe on the Sentinal, giving it a total range of 16 inches.


The Redeemer moves up and fires into my arcane gun mages, killing a few.


Zealots move through the woods, getting ready for a big rush of firebombs next turn.


Here's the setup at the start of turn two.


I started by smashing the Centurion into one of the Revengers. Notice Sevvy in the background. Ken was obviously still in anti-Cryx mode, where his caster was immune to almost all ranged threats. I moved the Sentinal up and let him have it... with Strafe three shots were generated.


Here was the damage roll for the first shot...

...and even though the other shots never finished him off, my gun mage captain moved in and took a long shot. Lights out for Severius.


The game ended so quickly that we decided to have another. I decided to try a compact list this time, as it was a work night, and we old fellows need sleep. I played Nemo with two Lancers, a Defender, and Reinholdt, JWC with a Sentinal, and Arlen Strangeways - a grand total of eight models.


Ken used the same list as the first game.


Menoth comes off strong again.


Nemo sent one of his Lancers out there with hopes of Chain Lightning madness. However, the dice-gods were not present. (The yellow token represents Arlen's spells, in this case, Evasive Action)


Nemo cast Accelerate on the Defender, giving him a nine-inch move. He took a shot at Severius and did seven or eight damage.


Madness breaks out all over the table. The zealots were locked up with the Lancer for most of the game.

Ken sent a Revenger after the Defender to tie it up.


While on my end of the table, the other Revenger gets dangerously close to Nemo, allowing Sevvy to cast some spells and hurt the poor old fella. The pictures were blurry, but Nemo feated next turn, stopping the Revenger from arcing spells or hitting effectively.


On my third turn, Arlen cast evasive action on the Defender again, allowing it to leave combat with the Revenger by giving it immunity to free strikes, and thanks to a second casting of Accelerate, it walked a whopping 11 inches up to Severius. However, being a total boob, I forgot to assign focus to the warjack, and it missed the old curmudgeon.


Ken rests his hopes on the Redeemer, who wasn't in range of Nemo's feat the turn before.


The rocket barrage sends shrapnel flying in every direction, but luckily, none on Nemo himself.


The Revenger tries to hit Nemo, but with no focus, it doesn't pan out.


More shannanigans in the middle of the table.


In a clever play, Ken uses Sevvy's Vision spell to get him out of the Defender's melee range unharmed. In a less than clever play, Ken forgets to feat Severius, which I believe was the whole purpose of the move in the first place. (i.e. to deprive Nemo of spell-casting and focus next turn)


Of course, it turned out to be a fatal mistake. Nemo used his Overpower ability to increase the control area (so he could "reach" the Defender), and then place four focus on the Defender. The Defender waltzed up, took two smacks, and that, as they say, was that.


It's been quite some time since I played Warmachine with the guys, especially just Ken and I throwing down. Now that I'm getting a second wind for the game, I'll hopefully be painting some models in the not to distant future. Squire? Bodgers? Or maybe the big guy... ;)

Thanks for reading,
JET

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Nemo used his Overpower ability to increase the control area (so he could "reach" the Defender), and then place four focus on the Defender."

I'm not a rulemonger, nor do I know if Nemo's got some sexy special rules, but isn't three focus max on one single jack? I am desperately trying to learn the rules myself so I got curious:)